Thursday 12 November 2015

Chicken Wrapped Enoki Mushrooms



Inspired by Bacon Wrapped Enoki Mushrooms, I thought of trying out another version with chicken meat instead which in my opinion, is healthier. It takes a bit more time and effort because you will really need to slice the chicken meat into thin slices. You can buy slices of bacon off the shelf but I have to limit my intake of red meat and of course, processed meat so I decided to use chicken. Also, instead of pan-fry, I opted to boil and at the same time, I can make some delicious soup.

Ingredients you need:

1. Chicken meat

2. Enoki mushrooms

3. 1 spring onion

4. Wolfberries

5. Fresh lettuce

6. 1/2 teaspoon of sesame oil

7. 1 teaspoon of vinegar

8. 2 limes

9. turmeric powder

10. Old Bay Seasoning


Steps to cook:

1. Cut the chicken meat into very thin slices. (I made use of chicken breasts since
     I bought them.)

2. Put them in a bowl. Add a dash of Old Bay Seasoning and turmeric powder to marinate
     the meat. Set aside for about 15 minutes.

3. Wash the spring onions and Enoki mushrooms.

4. Use a leaf (I supposed you called the top part as 'leaves') of the spring onion and
      cut it into thin strips. Cut up the rest of the spring onion for garnishing.

5. Place the strips of spring onion and Enoki mushrooms aside.


6. Pour 2 bowls of water into a pan. Add in 1 teaspoon of vinegar, 1/2 teaspoon of sesame
     oil and the wolfberries. Bring the water to boil.

7. Place the meat on a plate or any working surface.


8. Take a bunch of Enoki mushrooms and put them in the middle of one slice of meat.


9. Roll the meat to cover the mushrooms. Use a strip of spring onion to tie up the roll.
      Repeat steps 8 and 9 for the rest of the meat and mushrooms.


10. Once the water starts to boil, put in the rolls, one by one. (Since I have leftover
       meat and mushrooms, I put them in to boil too.)

11. After about 5 minutes, take the rolls out and place them on a plate. Continue to boil
        the soup for about two minutes and pour it into a bowl.

12. Add fresh lettuce into the soup. Garnish with the rest of the green onions.




Time for reflection. The chicken wrap was quite tasty and you can eat it in one mouthful. The soup contained all the flavours in it. Nice! The preparation was fine except that you will need some skills in cutting the chicken meat into thin slices. That was a challenge. If the pieces of meat were not thin enough, the boiling time will take longer. I might consider using ready cut-up chicken fillets in future. I faced problems tying up the rolls because the spring onions tore easily when wet so be patient when doing that. This is the first time I am trying out this dish so I put in extra time to boil so that the meat gets cooked. It really depends on the thickness of the meat to gauge the boiling time so play by ear. The ingredients I added in the soup are just for reference as I happened to have them. You can choose to add in more if you like. Likewise for the amount of soup, you can boil more and leave for dinner. (I made this for lunch by the way.) I do not choose to add salt as I know I will get all the flavours from the ingredients added and also for health reasons. That is all for this dish. Don't mind the ugly tying and I am sure you can do that better than me. Happy cooking!

No comments:

Post a Comment