Friday 13 November 2015

Ya Rou Bian (Duck meat slice) 鴨肉扁



'Ya Rou' (鴨肉) literally means duck meat. However, this restaurant does not serve duck meat at all. Instead, they are selling goose meat (鹅肉) which is kind of weird based on the name of the restaurant. Based on the recommendations of several blogs and it having a history of 60 years, I decided to give it a try. Time for some wild goose chase.

The restaurant is situated at Ximending (西門町) so take the train to Ximen (西門) Station and come out from exit 6. Walk towards Zhonghua Road and you will be able to reach the restaurant. Their menu is quite small. You can either choose rice or noodles to go with the meat which comes only in two sizes, small or large.

It is a two-storey restaurant so I guess it can get pretty crowded at times. As I entered the restaurant, one of the staff came forward immediately and ushered me to a table. He asked whether I would like to have rice or noodles. I asked for noodles. Then he said that he would serve me a small plate of goose meat. I agreed to that. The food came pretty fast. 



The chopsticks were on the table if I remembered correctly. There was no spoon provided. I was ready to slurp the soup straight from the bowl when I spotted that they were in containers hanging on the wall. I was glad that I did not embarrass myself. Nothing fantastic about the noodles. The soup was nice and not too salty. I tried the meat. I simply do not understand what caused the hype for this dish. Sorry to say that I find the meat tough and not to my liking. I had so much difficulties pulling the meat from the bones that I think I almost pulled out my teeth. The meat were also too salty for me. Probably it is just me who doesn't know how to appreciate this dish. I will not go back for a second round.

Eatery: Ya Rou Bian (Duck meat slice) 鴨肉扁

Address: No. 98-2, Section 1, Zhonghua Roadd, Wanhua District, Taipei City, Taiwan 108
                  (台北市萬華區中華路一段98-2號)

Contact:  +886 2 2371 3918

Operating Hours:  Mondays - Sundays (09 30 - 22 30)
                                                       
Nearest Metro line: Ximen (西門) (blue line (5))

No comments:

Post a Comment