Friday 13 November 2015

Tu Hsiao Yueh / Du Xiao Yue (度小月)



Bidding farewell to the eateries in Taipei, Tainan is another place to search for good food. I did not really get to eat much around Tainan for I spent most of the time travelling further out of the city.

The first eatery I went to is famous for its Dan Zai Noodles/ Dan Zai Mian (擔仔麵), a small bowl of traditional fares added with minced meat, dried shrimp and black vinegar. The eatery was established in Tainan in 1895. With such a rich history of both the eatery and the noodles, how could one resist the temptation of trying it from its place of origin? For your information, they do have their outlets in Taipei.

After visiting the Chihkan Tower (赤崁樓), I went straight to Du Xiao Yue for lunch. The eatery is just around the corner, beside the tower. It was just slightly over 11 a.m. and there were only two customers. I walked into the eatery and placed my order at the counter straight away, telling the staff what I wanted from the menu on the wall. 



















I went to look for a table and my food was served pretty fast. It was then I realised that the forms for ordering were placed in a basket on every table. The dishes together with the prices are listed on the forms so you will just need to indicate how many of each item you would like to have. The blank on the top left hand corner is for customers who wish to do take-aways. I supposed you just put a tick on it. The blank on the top right is for customers who dine-in to indicate their table number. Once done, bring it to the counter to place order and make payment. 


I ordered a bowl of Dan Zai Mian with a century egg / pi dan / hundred-year-old egg (皮蛋). It looked appetizing.




Though the portion was small, the bowl of noodles was delicious. The soup was plain and not salty. I could have easily ordered another bowl. Too bad I did not have the chance to go back again due to my travelling time. I will be visiting Tainan again for sure and this will be on my bucket-list.









Eatery: Tu Hsiao Yueh / Du Xiao Yue (度小月)

Address: No. 216, Section 2, Minzu Road, West Central District, Tainan City, Taiwan 700
                  (台南市中西區民族路二段216號)

Contact:  +886 6 221 5631

Operating Hours:  Mondays - Sundays (10 30 - 23 30)
                                                       
Website: http://www.dosyue.com.tw/index.php?op=home (in Chinese)


For those who are interested in the outlets in Taipei:

Du Xiao Yue 度小月担仔面.

1) No.9-1, Yongkang Street, Da’an District, Taipei City (Dongmen Station Exit 5)
      台北市大安區永康街9-1號
      Tel: +886 02 3393 1325
      Opening Hours: 11:30 am – 10:30 pm (Sun – Thu), 11:30 am – 11 pm (Fri – Sat)

2) 12, Alley 8, Lane 216, ZhongXiao East Road, Taipei City 
       (Zhongxiao Dunhua Station, Exit 3)
        台北市忠孝東路4段216巷8弄12号
        Tel: +886 02 2773 1244
        Opening Hours: 11:30 am-10:30 pm (Mon-Sat), 11:30am – 10pm (Sun)

No comments:

Post a Comment