Wednesday 4 November 2015

Tamsui Ah-Gei 淡水老街正宗阿給老店



Another old eatery found at Tamsui. I was curious what exactly this dish is made up of. Apparently, it is a dish sold widely by vendors in the district. The food consists of a piece of fried tofu stuffed with cooked glass noodles and is eaten with spicy sauce. So again, I put my stomach to the test.

After spending time around Tamsui, I searched for the original Ah-Gei eatery recommended by blogger, Alec who went to ate at the branch. I did not manage to find it so I gave up and continued with my photo-taking along the waterfront. Then I saw this man performing his tricks selling ice-cream.


This is the famous Turkey ice-cream where the seller will perform tricks with the ice-cream before really serving you. I was busy taking photographs and video of it. When I was satisfied, I turned and was about to leave when lo and behold, facing directly this stall, which is on my left, is the flagship Ah-Gei eatery! The eatery is also facing the structure below.


Wasting no time, I went in to look for a seat first. Although it was 2 plus in the afternoon, the eatery was still crowded. The eatery is air-conditioned.



I made a seat reservation with my bag which is not a very good option but I had no other choice because it is again self-service and you had to place order and pay first before you are served.

Self-service and a warning to check your change before moving away from the prep food station

The menu is on the wall so after taking a quick look at it, I went to the prep food area and placed my order.

The menu

Some of the blogs recommended the fishball soup. Since I already ate fishballs at Ke Ko, I ordered Ah-Gei (阿給) and pork ball (肉丸).

My order

The eatery does not sell drinks. I bought that from a drink stall. There is a tub of chilli on every table so feel free to help yourself.


This is the glass noodles wrapped inside the fried tofu. An authentic taste. I ate the Ah-Gei but left the sauce out cause it was too sweet for me. I didn't taste a tad of spicy in the dish though. Probably I did not add the chilli into it.


This appears in many of Taiwan's eateries. Free of charge! Another innovation idea.

Eatery: Tamsui Ah-Gei 淡水老街正宗阿給老店

Address: No. 4, Lane 11, Zhongzheng Rd, Tamsui District, New Taipei City, Taiwan 251 
                  (新北市淡水區中正路11巷4號(渡船頭旁)) 

Contact:  +886 2 2623 3398

Operating Hours: Mondays - Sundays  (0800 – 2230)
                             
Nearest Metro line: Tamsui (red line (2))

Click for Google Map directions

No comments:

Post a Comment