Sunday 8 November 2015

Ji Guang Xiang Xiang Ji 继光香香鸡

The reviews given for this store were so good that I had to try it out myself. I will not resist eating chicken. What more it is fried! The outlet at Ximending (西門町) is easily accessible. Take the train to Ximen (西門) Station and come out from exit 6. Turn right, walk a few metres more and you will see the store. There will always be a queue to indicate how popular the store is.


 The queue on that day was not that long, thankfully and it was moving pretty fast.

Too adorable!



















Founded in 1973, their first store is located in Taichung. They have been into this business for almost 40 years. The recipe is heavily guarded. It is said that they make use of more than 10 spices for the food. No wonder they are still going strong! As I was reaching the counter, I got to watch the staff in action.

The staff in action


The best reason to buy from them would be that the chicken bites are fried to order which means they do not re-fry like some other eateries do. Your food will be served piping hot with the juiciness retained and not dry and hard. One admirable point was that the staff continuously promoted their food through a microphone while working on them. Don't worry. They had their Mouth Spit Guard Service Mask put on.

The menu right above

It was my turn to order. There are only two prices for the chicken bites - medium (中) pack (75NT) and large (大) pack (110NT). Apparently, prices had gone up. Some bloggers mentioned that they used to cost 55NT and 100NT respectively. For me, as long as the food satisfy my palate, is delicious and tasty, my money is worth spent. I placed my chicken bites order.


Salivating

My food being prepared

My chicken bites were then served and sprinkled with some herbal based pepper powder. If you like a touch of spiciness, chili powder can be added. The staff will ask how spicy you would like your chicken bites to be and add the chilli powder accordingly before they pack.

Be prepared to wait longer if you were to order the other items on the menu

The store is patronised by tourists and more importantly, the locals. Go where the locals go, eat what the locals eat. You can't go very wrong with that, especially food.

After paying, I took my food and I could not wait to eat them. In order to be environmental-friendly, most stores do not provide plastic bags for snacks and sometimes, food. The locals will bring their own for takeaways. Thus, I was thankful that the store actually provided the plastic bag as the food was still hot. Nice.


The chicken pieces were bigger than popcorn chicken. The first bite was memorable! The meat was hot, super moist, juicy and tender. It was not powdery and more importantly, it was spicy! I was eating chicken and not flour! You might want to take note that there are still bones attached to some pieces so do be careful while eating, especially for children. Other than that, no complains! I ate as I walked along, something that I do not do often. This tells you how good their chicken bites are!

How can one not drool just by looking at these?




Most customers come for their fried chicken bites. The other delicious items on their menu include fried squids (鮮炸魷魚) and crispy garlic mushrooms (蒜脆杏鮑菇). After visiting their website, I realised some outlets sell fries too. The latest news I came to know about is that they have an outlet in SINGAPORE! (Hungryboy) Oh, a side info. I researched on the names of squids and cuttlefish in Chinese following this post, just to make sure I got them right during translation. I get them mixed up quite often and still do! Call me 'Sotong'

Eatery: Ji Guang Xiang Xiang Ji 继光香香鸡

Address: No. 121之1號, Hanzhong St, Wanhua District, Taipei City, Taiwan 108
                  (台北市萬華區漢中街121-1號)

Contact:  +886 2 2388 2622

Operating Hours:  Mondays - Sundays (11 30 - 23 00)
                                                       
Nearest Metro line: Ximen (西門) (blue line (5))

Website: http://www.jgssg.com.tw/index.php (in Chinese)

List of other outlets: Click here

No comments:

Post a Comment