Saturday 7 November 2015

Liu Mama Rice Balls 劉媽媽飯團 / 刘妈妈饭团 (simplified chinese)

Again, I got to wake up early. The early bird catches the worm which in my case, rice ball. I did a Google Map search the previous night and found the address which was at Roosevelt Road. Happy I was, I took the train to Chiang Kai-Shek Memorial Hall Station. I held my handphone and switched on my Google Map. I followed the directions given FAITHFULLY. However, I felt that something was amiss. The store as mentioned in blogs was popular and I should see people getting busy. The streets around the area was empty except for a few souls walking by now and then. I took a tour around the area, thinking I was lost again but it was indicated on the Google Map that I was at the right place. The streets were deserted. Doors were closed. No indication of the store anywhere. 

I spent a good 15 to 20 minutes perhaps circling the area just to make sure. I hit search on Google Map again and realised that the store was closed on weekends. Bummer! I realised that they have another at Hangzhou South Road. I was disappointed and wanted to head back to the hotel. Something bugged me and I decided to try my luck at the flagship store. 

I took the train to Guting (古亭) Station. According to Google Map, I had to take exit 6 to head to Hangzhou South Road.


Once you have come out from the exit, walk straight till you see this corner. 


The road infront is Section 2, Hangzhou South Road. Turn right and you should see something like the picture below.


Walk straight and if you have a good enough eyesight, you should see their red signboard ahead. All you have to do now is walk there and place your order.

The red signboard after the America flag lookalike

On closer look

This is how the shop front looks like

They have the entire menu hung up

No queue!!!

I was early of course. I crossed over to the store. I knew what I wanted after looking at the items on the menu. Apparently, there are 3 stations for you to queue. It makes things faster I guess. I was directed to the second station as the first was still busy. I ordered Cheese with Pork Chop Rice Ball (起士三島豬排飯糰) and a cold almond drink (杏仁茶). The guy then asked what type of rice I wanted. There are two types of rice to choose from - regular sticky rice a.k.a glutinous rice / luo mi (糯米) or purple sticky rice / zi mi (紫米) . I chose purple as it is supposed to be healthier. See health benefits 

I received my order, paid and off I went. The store does not have a dine-in section so customers do takeaways. It was only after reading other blogs did I realise that the Cheese with Pork Chop Rice Ball has been ranked as one of the store's popular items (No. 4)!


I took the train back and found a place to sit in the park near the hotel. I could not wait to eat my rice ball.





My verdict. It was simply DELICIOUS! I regretted immediately not getting more! (greedy pig) I MUST return for this!

Other reviews on the store: Sugar & Spiced
                                                     Xuite (in Chinese)
                                                     Hantian (in Chinese)

Eatery: Liu Mama Rice Balls 劉媽媽飯團 / 刘妈妈饭团 (simplified chinese)

Addy(1): No. 88, Section 2, Hangzhou S Rd, Zhongzheng District, Taipei City, Taiwan 100
                     (台北市杭洲南路二段88號)

Contact:  +886 2 3393 6915

Operating Hours:  Mondays - Sundays (05 30 - 11 00)
                                         Public Holidays (05 30 - 12 00)
                                         Closed on the last Monday of every month

Nearest Metro line: Guting (古亭) (green line (3))

                
Addy(2): No. 1, Lane 9, Section 1, Roosevelt Rd, Zhongzheng District, 
                    Taipei City, Taiwan 100
                    (台北市羅斯福路一段9巷1號)

Contact:  +886 952 515 251

Operating Hours:  Mondays - Fridays (07 00 - 10 20)

Nearest Metro line: Chiang Kai-Shek Memorial Hall (中正紀念堂) (red/green interchange)

Click for Google Map directions

No comments:

Post a Comment