Saturday 7 November 2015

Yong He Dou Jiang 永和豆漿大王


Dou jiang (Soy milk) and you tiao (literally translated as ‘grease stick') (豆浆油条) are considered one of the must have for breakfast in Taiwan. Both items go well together. The two famous eateries that the locals and tourists go to would be Yong He (永和) and Fu Hang (阜杭). Looking at the pictures taken by some bloggers, I noticed the queues for Fu Hang are really longgggggggggggggg. Thus, I decided to give Yong He a try.

I knew I had to get up early to avoid the crowd. I took the metro to Technology Building Station. I believe there is only one exit. After coming out of the exit, there should be a Macdonald's on the left, a few meters away. Turn right and walk along Section 2, Fuxing South Road and you should reach the junction below.











Once you have crossed the zebra crossing / traffic light (the picture shown on the right), turn right and walked straight. You will see another dou jiang eatery, 四海豆漿大王first. Continue walking straight and you will reach Yong He Dou Jiang eventually at the corner of another small intersection. You will not miss it because there will be people queuing for their food.



There are two different queues. One is the takeaway zone (外带區) and the other is the dine-in zone (内用區). The whole menu is actually right inside the eatery, on the wall so you might want to go in and take a good look at the variety first. For those dine-in, you will have to self-service.




Shao bing (燒餅) is basically baked flat bread. It tastes crispy when you bite on it. I ordered Shao Bing Jia Rou Song, Shao Bing You Tiao and Shao Bing Jia Dan Bing (I think).  Of course, I ordered their dou jiang too. I prefer to drink it cold. I intended to save some for lunch so I queued at the takeaway zone. It gave me a chance to look at how they prepared the food and take photographs.




All the shao bing

The ready you tiao

I guess I was early so the queue for takeaway was pretty quick. It could also be that I had chosen the one less visited by tourists. There are, I believe, four outlets in Taipei. I read out all my orders, paid and received my food. I went in to sit since there was no crowd and tried my first shao bing.




First try
Baked flat bread with pork floss
(Shao Bing Jia Rou Song)












I was tempted to try their salty dou jiang but think the better of it. I still prefer sweet dou jiang. Maybe next time. If you like a peek at how the salty dou jiang looks like, go to this blogger, Miso Peckish and check it out. I made a mistake of ordering all shao bing. By the time I ate the other two during lunch, they turn soft. I should have ordered dan bing instead. Again, next time!

The view of the eatery across the street

Eatery: Yong He Dou Jiang 永和豆漿大王

Address: No. 102, Section 2, Fuxing S Rd, Da’an District, Taipei City, Taiwan 106
                  (復興南路二段102號)

Contact:  +886 2 2703 5051

Operating Hours:  Mondays - Sundays (Opens 24 hours)
                                                       
Nearest Metro line: Technology Building (科技大樓) (brown line (1))

No comments:

Post a Comment