Thursday 12 November 2015

#8 Great Eastern Women's Run 2015



Ever since I had signed up for the run this year, I was highly anticipating for its arrival. What could be so special about this event, you may ask. Well, I was unsure I was in the right state of mind when I signed up for this but what done cannot be undone. I registered for a 21.1km run. Yes, 21.1km. I could not even handle a 5km run well and here I am, going for a half marathon. What got me into this category was really erm...greed.  

Apart from the event T-shirt, the organisers are giving out a memento T-shirt to celebrate 10 years of great running. In addition to completing the 21.1km, there will be a finisher T-shirt. 3 T-shirts! Why not?! Greed aside, I also wanted to put myself to the test since I had already tried 10km and it was about time I moved on. I did train hard for it but the furthest I went was 15.5km and I almost fainted. I began to question myself as the date drew nearer and nearer.

Then the haze came back and that stopped me from running. Three weeks before the run, I went overseas. However, during that period, I kept myself busy by 'training'. I did my walks and walks and climbs and climbs, hopefully enough to get me fit for the run. The haze was still lingering two to three days before the event and I was actually secretly hoping that it would be cancelled. On second thoughts, even if I were to collect the finisher T-shirt and medal, I would not be able to proudly put on my t-shirt and said that I did it. It was then I prayed hard that it would not be cancelled.

Thankfully, the event was on. I took the shuttle bus to the venue. It was still dark and my stomach was churning from anxiety as I waited for it to start. I was having serious doubts whether I would be able to make it. I targeted to complete the run in 3h 30min. I tried not to put pressure on myself and enjoy the run as much as possible.

It started and I ran at my own pace. Surprisingly, it was not that tough despite not training for a couple of weeks. I ran the first 6km without stopping and to me, that was great achievement. I stopped and hydrated at the station after 6km. A big mistake because after that, I had difficulties getting back on track. The momentum was lost. I decided to try walking for 2km before running another 2km. Strategies changed here and there. I stopped at quite a number of stations to hydrate myself. After the 12km, I found that to run continuously for another 2km was beyond me. I started walking fast, hopefully to catch up lost time.

Easier said than done. I soon realised that I drank too much and my stomach was full of water and before the run started, I wanted to attend to some business but did not. It was tough. I did not want to stop at the toilets along the way, fearing that I would lose time. I pressed on. 

My legs grew tired after 15km. I wanted so much to sit on those benches that I had passed along the way. My physical state was wavering but my mental state was telling me not to give up and I'd got this. It told me to go on and I did as I was told. After going up and down the Marina Barrage, I felt the calf muscles of both legs beginning to cramp. I slowed down my walk. It was really tough. I knew I could no longer reach my target time. I just hope to do it under 4h.

The last 1km. I walked faster, hopefully to catch up with those infront. The last few metres, I started to run as fast as I could. With so many pairs of eyes staring at me, I ran even faster. I watched the timer ticking and finally, I crossed the finish line. I did it under 4h! Not that bad after all. I rewarded myself with all the great stuff at the carnival.


It was a wonderful but tiring and tough experience. However, till today, I still miss the journey and  I am proud to say that I will do it all over again. A year ago, I post this on Facebook and timely, it showed up on my newsfeed today. 


This just fits in nicely for my whole experience at the run for this event. By pure coincidence, the event organisers announced the release of the photographs taken during the run today.

I hate my hair during runs
Learn how to gei-gei run



















When it comes to running, I had my share of ups and downs but I had and will never say I give up. I had and still have my doubts whether I will be able to complete my next run but one thing I know for sure - the entire experience was and always will be rewarding for I run for myself and I bring out the best in me.

No comments:

Post a Comment